How to Install a Printer Driver [Use PS or PPD Drivers] (Tips No.00838)
We recommend downloading and using the latest printer driver from the website instead of using the printer driver in the CD-ROM bundled in the MFP product package.
What are PS and PPD drivers?
This is used when printing with PostScript. PostScript (PS) is a page description language widely used in DTP. Especially suitable for printing data using PostScript fonts.
* Depending on the model, an optional PS expansion kit is required to use this driver.
Please see the Product Lineup for details.
1. Select a Printer Driver to Install.
Select (1) Country/Region and (2) Category, enter (3) Product Name, and select Language of Driver/Software on "Driver Downloads" page. Click [Next].
The automatically detected OS for server may differ from the actual OS.
If the detected OS is different from the actual OS, click [Select another OS] and select the OS of your PC from the list box.
When the OS cannot be detected automatically.
When a list box appears, select the OS of your PC from the list box.
How to find the OS information of your PC.
To check the OS information of your PC, refer to "What is my OS ? How do I know the bit of my PC ?"
When multiple printer drivers are listed on the download webpage.
Select the driver to fit your environment.
2. Download and Install a Printer Driver.
Click the [Download] button and click the [Run] button on the opened window. If you saved the file, then double-click it.
Depending on your PC environment, sometime the file is automatically saved without opening a window.
An Installation requires an administrator privileges.
- - Right-click the stored file and click [Run as an administrator] on the displayed menu to execute the installation.
- - Enter the admin password if necessary.
3. Specify Where to Save the File.
Check where to save the file then click the [Next] button.
4. Select Installation Method.
Click the [Advanced installation] icon.
When "Select a type of installation." screen appears.
This screen appears when a MFP using the same printer driver is registered as a printer or a previous version of the printer driver has already been installed.
5. Select a MFP to Install.
Check the box of MFP to be installed and click the [Next] button.
* The printer drivers displayed on this screen can be installed at the same time.
Convenient function - Install the printer drivers for multiple MFPs at once.
When only one MFP is searched
The screen 6 appears, without displaying this screen.
If MFP doesn't appear
- ● [Confirmation] Is the power of the MFP turned on?
- ● [Confirmation] Is the MFP and the PC connected to the network?
- ● If there are no problems with the above two points, click the [Specify conditions ...] button.
For details on how to operate, see "When installing a printer driver, the machine is not detected. (Windows)".
6. Select the Printer Driver to Install.
Check the printer driver to be installed and click the [Next] button.
7. Check the MFP to Be Installed and Start Copying Files.
Check the displayed contents and click the [Next] button to start copying the files.
* At this time, do not uncheck "Run the Autoconfiguration".
If a security warning window appears
There is no problem with the printer driver, so select the button to continue the installation.
8. Print Test Page and Check Whether the Printer Driver is Successfully Installed.
Once the completion screen for the installation is displayed, click the [Print test page] button and check whether the test page is printed.
9. Select the Printer Driver Set as the Default Driver.
Select the default printer driver.
What is the default printer?
- - Set the printer usually used as the [default printer].
- - Select [Don't change] when you do not want to change the current [default printer].
- - The printer can be changed to another printer when printing.
10. Finish the Driver Installation.
Click the [Finish] button.
When a message appears to prompt the user to restart the PC.
Click the [Yes] button to restart your PC.
How to confirm and change the IP address of the MFP & How to confirm the network connection between MFP and PC.
- Reference : How to check IP address of MFP
Setting after installation
How to set paper trays and/or finishers on the printer driver.
* The above setting is automatically finished in normal cases.
- Reference : What settings do I need after installing a printer driver ?
Print test pages
If the driver is working properly, the test pages print successfully.
* The test page is usually printed during printer driver's installation.
- Reference : How to print test page to check whether the printer can print data
How to install a network connection
This is the most standard installation when connecting a MFP and PC on the network.
- Reference : How to install a Printer Driver [recommended standard installation]
Installation method when using IPP port
This is used to print data with PostScript.
- Reference : How to Install a Printer Driver [Use IPP port]